Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Doodles allo Symposio



These are some quick sketches I did on my server notepad. This summer, I worked in a small Italian restaurant in Bellmore, NY called Cafe Symposio. I had barely spent more than a few weeks in New York in 3 years, and feel that the experience I had there was a suitable way for me to be reintegrated into my home.
One thing I've always liked about this place is the cultural diversity. Sometimes, at the restaurant, I would hear Spanish in my left ear; Greek in my right; and English in both. I also had the pleasure of hearing some Italian and Arabic, and running into customers with a broad spectrum of surnames.
I've worked in a lot of restaurants, and this place was the first time that almost everyone accepted me as a friend from the moment I walked in the door. Conversely, I also learned that not everyone revels in a multi-faceted world. Some naive part of me thought that it was common to feel genuine happiness at being surrounded by a heterogeneous group of people. I learned a valuable lesson at Cafe Symposio. It'll be there with me on my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment